Spent Grain Biscuits
Prep Time: 20 min Cook Time: 15 min Total Time: 35 min
1 1/2 c AP Flour (279 g)
1/4 c OURgrain Spent Grain Flour (40 g)
4 tsp Baking Powder (16.5 g)
1/4 tsp Baking Soda (1.25 g)
3/4 tsp Kosher Salt (4 g)
9 tbsp. Unsalted Butter, cubed (157 g)
1 c Buttermilk (261 g)
Extra AP flour, for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mixture until it looks crumbly.
4. Add the buttermilk and fold the dough with your hands until the dough just comes together. The dough will be very sticky
5. turn the dough onto a floured surface, and dust the top of the dough with flour. Gently fold the dough over itself 5-6 times, turning the dough clockwise after each fold.
6. Roll out the dough until it is about 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits into desired shape with a sharp knife, or round cutter.
7. Bake on a parchment lined sheet tray in the middle rack of the oven. When the biscuits are tall, and light gold on top, they are done, about 15 min.
To recreate this recipe without spent grain, use 2 cups of AP flour and only 5 tbsp. of unsalted butter.