Malted Crab Cake
With Lemon Caper Butter
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Total Time: 2 hours
4 eggs, large
⅓ Cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 Teaspoon Old Bay seasoning/ cajun seasoning
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup finely diced celery
4 Tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 Pounds lump crab meat
½ Cup panko breadcrumbs
½ Cup OURgrain Brewers’ Spent Grain Flour (fine)
Vegetable or canola oil, for cooking
See Lemon Caper Vinaigrette recipe below)
Ingredients for lemon caper vinaigrette:
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 1/2 Tablespoons minced shallots (1 small)
1 Tablespoon capers, drained, roughly chopped
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
Procedure for lemon caper vinaigrette:
1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
Makes 8, 5oz crab cakes
(enough to serve 4 adults as a main course)
1. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire, Old Bay, salt, celery, and parsley; and mix well. Add the crab meat, (be sure to check the meat for pieces of cartilage!) panko, and OURgrain Brewers Spent Grain Flour. Gently fold mixture together until just combined, being careful not to shred the crab meat.
3. Shape into 8 crab cakes (about 5 ounces each) and place on lined baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Lemon caper vinaigrette can be made during this time.
4. Preheat a large nonstick pan to medium heat and coat with canola oil. When oil is hot, place crab cakes in pan and cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes per side. Be careful as oil may splatter. This is best done in 2 batches, depending on the pan size.
5. Serve immediately with lemon caper vinaigrette. Enjoy!